Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Hole in a Mountain

Okay, so it has been a while since I have posted on here, I know, and so much has happened. I will keep this post focused, though, and tell you about today's trip into Petty Johns Cave in North Georgia. I started out with some crazy gear: no kneepads, a very bright headlamp, extra-large gloves, shoes without much tread, and a bicycle helmet..............but guess what? They all worked just fine. The cave was very wet, seeing as this area has had a lot of rain for the past two weeks, and the mud was incredibly sticky. I stopped twice to tie my shoes on tighter because they would get stuck in the mud and my foot would come out of them when I tried to take the next step! There were lots of passageways in there, all marked with arrows of different colors, probably identifying several different routes. Most that we found proved too narrow for all of us to get through, so it's good we didn't go with a destination in mind, we just tried out 4 or 5 paths, all of which we decided we wanted to know more about before we barreled down them. I had a blast, I was covered in mud from head (and hair) to toe, and I loved how quiet it was inside. The only things that would've made it more enjoyable, would be having less trash in there (people are messy) and having a certain someone there with me. That definately won't be the last time I go caving, but I think I should invest in some better equipment before I crawl in a cave again!

1 comment:

  1. I volunteered for a cave clean-up once. All I had was my flashlight, gloves, and a trash bag. It was indeed amazing to turn off the flashlight and sit in the darkness with no sounds but the distant noises of other volunteers. It is the only way to go spelunking; no rails, no pre-determined paths, no lights, just me, my flashlight, and athleticism.

    ReplyDelete

Followers